Le château de Porthos
Built at the end of the 16th and the beginning of the 17th century, this castle is characteristic of the Béarnaise architecture thanks to the harmony of its proportions and the sobriety of its style.
It was one of the last residences of Porthos (Isaac de Portau), one of the Musketeers of Alexandre Dumas' novels. Porthos was born in Pau in 1617 and appointed a musketeer in 1643.
To write his novel, Alexandre Dumas is inspired by the Memoirs of D'ARTAGNAN -COURTILZ DE SANDRAS, published in 1701.
Odile Bordas, author of the book on the manners of Artagnan and Musketeers (Balzac publishing house) recalls Isaac de Portau, aka Porthos:
Lanne Castle with Porthos
"Following the path of Mauleon through the valley of Barétous, we will arrive at Lanne. The castle located near the church is a home worthy of the musketeers of the Royal Guard on horseback! Here, according to local tradition, lived the most exuberant of all, Porthos!
Isaac de Portau, aka PORTHOS
His real name, Isaac de Portau, future musketeer, immortalized by Alexandre Dumas, was born February 2, 1617 in Pau. His grandfather was the overseer of the kitchens of the King of Navarre; his father, Isaac was secretary of the King and States of Navarre and notary general of Bearn. The latter was ennobled after having acquired some seigniorial properties. Married in second marriage with Ana D'Arrac de Gan, a Protestant family related to the Lords of La Force, Isaac father had two sons and a daughter: Juan, controller of war and secretary of the States of Béarn; Isaac, the future musketeer, and Jeanne.
Like D'Artagnan and Athos, Isaac de Portau served as a cadet in the French Guards in the company of M. des Essarts, Treville's brother-in-law, before serving in the company of the Musketeers, led by the influential captain.
Like Aramis, he retired from the service in 1646, after the dissolution of the company, he retired to his native village in Béarn. There, in this castle of Lanne, Isaac de Portau decided to live.
At the entrance to the city, next to the church, at that time was the castle chapel, stood a beautiful one-storey building with steeply pitched roofs. The castle, with the perfect harmony of its proportions and the sobriety of its style, has two square towers which give it a seigniorial look. It is a typical Bearnese architecture mansion, whose curved rear windows offer incredible views of the valley and the torrent, in the distance, on the horizon, the mountains.
The castle, as well as the gates and locks remain closed. *
The earthquake that destroyed the neighboring city of Arette in the 1960s has damaged the interior of the castle, but it has not lost its charm. The main door and the staircase deserve you to stop there!
At dusk, the powerful silhouette of the castle emerges and welcomes you.
Below, on the road, just before dark, we must still hear the echo of the last ride, or the return of a day of hunting ...
At nightfall, sitting by the fireplace, there was much to discuss with M. de Portau. How many memories to remember! Memories of his old comrades, of those who are no longer his comrades ... Athos ... and many others ...! He remembered the days of endless battle in the plains of the north devastated by war and death, so common at that time ... the return home with those encountered on the way, those who had returned, full of memories. .. Treville, his old captain; Aramis, the neighbor ... Paul de Castelmore, crowned by his own achievements and the glory of his brother ...!
* This text predates the restoration of the castle in 2005